Schnitzer Steel is dedicated to providing a safe work environment for our employees, their families, contractors and visitors to our facilities and the communities in which we are located. Our commitment goes beyond the fundamentals of OSHA compliance. The Schnitzer Steel culture strives for a proactive approach in our health & safety program through management accountability, employee empowerment and open communications. Schnitzer's Operations and Safety Management Teams have fostered an organizational culture that engages all employees to be personally involved, accountable and responsible for their actions and the work environment through best management practices by cohesively working to identify and eliminate potential risks throughout the company.
Components of our safety programs include:
- Providing a health and safety team to facilitate continuous improvement through best management practices.
- Empowering and measuring employee health and safety participation at every level in the organization.
- Ensuring all staff receive the required training to actively recognize and mitigate hazards within the work environment.
- Enhancing supervisors' level of awareness and commitment through effective communications on safe work practices.
- Managing and facilitating ongoing safety committees / teams.
- Researching and encouraging the adoption of the latest technology in safety equipment.
- Ensuring proactive safety processes and systems are driven by leading indicators, which include:
- Daily, monthly, and quarterly audits.
- Inclusive participation through employee empowerment.
- Entrepreneurial approaches to mitigate hazards within the work environment.
- Encouraging ergonomic stretching exercises.
- Communicating current trends to prevent re-occurrence.
As a result of our strong company-wide safety programs, we provide our employees and contractors with a safer, more productive workplace. This in turn allows us to provide quality products and services for our customers in a cost-effective fashion which drives the continued profitable growth of our company and maximizes shareholder value.
Return to Values page