At Schnitzer, integrity is a core value of every relationship. We treat employees, customers, partners, suppliers, investors and the public with respect, fairness and integrity and we expect the same in return. From day one, our employees are instructed to act ethically in all business dealings. We make clear this is not something that should be done sometimes, or often but ALWAYS.
As one of our company's guiding principles, integrity means:
- Doing the right thing for the right reasons.
- Honoring and fulfilling our commitments and agreements as responsible citizens and employees.
- Doing the right thing even when it may be more convenient or advantageous to take another approach.
- Being honest, straightforward and transparent in our communications at all times – what you see is what you get.
- Doing what we say we are going to do.
- Only working with honest companies who are equally dedicated to doing business in an ethical manner.
- When mistakes are made, acknowledging them, learning from them and not repeating them.
- Never compromising our values.
Schnitzer does not engage in or support child labor, human trafficking or slavery, or knowingly support companies that utilize any form of child labor, slavery or human trafficking. Schnitzer is currently evaluating its supply chain practices in order to determine how best to further Schnitzer's efforts to eliminate human trafficking and slavery.
This is how our shareholders and employees expect us to manage the company. These high standards have become embedded in our corporate culture. However, it does not end there. Our sense of responsibility extends to leadership in protecting the environment and being good citizens in the communities where we are located.
To ensure we act with integrity in all we do, we have created a Corporate Compliance Department whose focus is to ensure our actions match our commitment to ethics. The department is led by Callie Pappas, Vice President & Chief Compliance Officer. Assisting her is a Chief Compliance Counsel along with a Senior Manager of International Trade, a Corporate Compliance Program Administrator and an Executive Assistant.
We have adopted a Code of Conduct reflecting our values and expectations of integrity. The Code is frequently reinforced through training and other communications. All employees, officers and directors are required to adhere to it.
We have also set up a system whereby anyone can comfortably report possible violations of the Code of Conduct. Such reports are taken very seriously and are dealt with promptly and confidentially.
Finally, the Company's executive team maintains open lines of communication among one another, other employees and the Board of Directors to engage in continuous improvement in the Compliance environment.
Return to Values page