Information for New Hires
Welcome to Schnitzer!
We are thrilled with your decision to join our team.
We thought you might find it helpful to have a general idea of what to expect on your first day of work and have provided some basic information on this page to help you prepare. This information is subject to change and we haven't included every detail here – just major points to help make your first day easier. If you have any questions, please contact your new manager or HR at .
Now that you have accepted a position with us, the next step is to complete new hire documents and benefits enrollment. We've made the information on this page printable so that you may have a copy to bring with you on your first day if you like, or refer back to as you move through our hiring and on-boarding process.
What to Bring on Your First Day
- Form I-9 Documents – Federal law requires Schnitzer to verify that all new employees hired after November 6, 1986, are authorized to work in the United States. On your first day of work, you will be asked to complete the Form I-9 as part of the Employment Eligibility Verification process.
- You will need to present unexpired original documentation (including acceptable receipts) showing your identity and employment authorization.
- You get to choose the documentation you would like to present from the Lists of Acceptable Documents.
- You will be required to present either of these options:
Option 1: One (1) selection from List A
Option 2: One (1) selection from List B and one (1) selection from List C
- If you have questions, contact HR at .
- Benefit Enrollment Forms – As a Schnitzer employee you may be eligible for exciting benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending, Life Insurance and 401(k) Retirement Savings.
- You will be receiving your Benefits Packet in the mail where you will find information to help you explore, choose and enroll in benefits.
- All benefit enrollment paperwork is due no later than 5 days after your first work day.
Who to Contact with Questions
We are here to help! If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us.
HR Shared Services
For information regarding first day schedule and what to wear, please contact your immediate supervisor since this varies by location.
Return to Careers page